Monday, July 13, 2009

Tea Bags To Help Stop Bleeding

The tannic acid in a regular tea bag (not herbal) will help stop bleeding.  So, a box of tea bags in your cupboard for first aid is probably a good idea.

A plain old moistened tea bag will also help heal a wisdom tooth extraction.

The Cleveland Clinic states:

Bleeding may occur for several hours after tooth extraction. To control it, position a piece of clean moist gauze over the empty tooth socket and bite down firmly. Apply constant pressure for about 45 minutes. A moistened tea bag is an effective alternative. The tannic acid in tea helps healing blood clots to form (blood clots function similarly to a scab on an open wound). Repeat this process if a small degree of bleeding continues; if heavy bleeding continues to occur, contact your dentist or oral surgeon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Monday, July 13, 2009
Yesterday while on my laptop I felt my left ear itching and the immediate response was to put my baby finger in my ear. Okaaaaaaay! Three minutes later I looked at my keys on the key board because I had made a mistake typing and saw little droplets of blood. I said OH SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHIT, NO IT DIDN'T!!! My ear was bleeding. I hit my eardrum. I immediately called my vascular doctor and he said go NOW to get a blood test. (I take coumadin which is a blood thinner and all kinds of whacky things can happen), but this was CRAZY). I packed it with gauze that a tech had given me (sistah gave me a whole box), drove home, across the street, sat at the computer and decided to take the gauze out hoping that it had stopped. It started dripping again ... and then I said, "OH YEAH, I DON'T THINK SO" --Did a search on the internet ... and found the article below.

IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED .... IT STOPPED!!!! SO KEEP REGULAR TEA BAGS HANDY

OH I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING .... NO DON'T BOIL THE TEA BAG -- DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN YOUR EAR