Monday, July 13, 2009

Fertility Issues - Trying to Stay Pregnant

It takes progesterone to get pregant and estrogen to keep being pregant.  The problem can be that estrogen doesn't kick in until week 14 to week 18.  So, you can have miscarriage issues until the estrogen kicks in.

There is a general understanding that a gynocologist will let you go through up to 3 miscarriages before they will really start to do anything aggressively.  Or, you can have low progesterone levels, but not low enough to go on progesterone from the doctor.  Frusterating.

I was one of those women on all three of my children.  I had a pretty hard time getting pregnant and a much harder time staying pregnant because of low progesterone levels.  But, not low enough to go on progesterone.  For me, I took Wild Yam supplements because it is a source of natural progesterone.  I would stop my spotting when I would take it and I had to take it often.  I would take it up to the fourth month until my estrogen kicked in and then would be fine.  I am very happy to say I carried all of my kids to term and know that I wouldn't have if I didn't use some kind of natural progesterone supplement.

No comments: