Monday, June 2, 2008

Tips for Sore Throats and the Start of a Cold

Bret's little sister, Jen, has asked me if I have any tips on how to get rid of a sore throat for an adult. I do try to fix all of our ailments naturally, if I can. A sore throat for me is tricky to get rid of. More times than not, I do still get the cold that follows the sore throat. Sometimes using the following items will help to get rid of the sore throat.

The best way to fight a sore throat is prevention. Taking some of these products each day will really help keep your immune system strong. They will also help if you are feeling sick. Here is what is in my medicine cabinet.
Ester-C. Ester-C is a type of vitamin C, but is easier to digest and more potent. I start building my immune system back up with this first.

Emergen-C. I have been using this product since I was in high school and my mom found it for us. It is sold just about every where now. We particularly like the Tropical and Tangarine flavors.


If you are not a pill swallower, then this is an especially great way to get your Vitamin C + other good ingredients.



Airborne. Great stuff! I find that with either of these products, the best thing to do is take it a couple times a week to prevent any sore throats or colds from coming on. We do take more of it, as a precaution, in the winter.



Wellness Formula by Source Naturals. These are horse pills. They are huge, so beware if you are not an accomplished pill swallower. (They could be cut down, if needed.) This is a great immune system help and one that does help to kick a sore throat to the curb.


Bovine Colostrum. Even though I would like to leave this one out to avoid any controversy, I can't. If you have a weak immune system and pick up every germ that is around you, colostrum really builds your immune system like nothing else. Taking this each day has made a world of difference in me not getting sick every time my kids get sick.


Zinc lozenges or zinc spray is helpful is getting rid of a sore throat.

Finally, hydrogen peroxide. Swab it in your ears, in your nose and gargle with it whenever you feel any bit of sickness coming on. It kills the germs that are in those breeding grounds for colds. It is a cheap help that works wonders. The click above takes you to a website about the MANY uses for hydrogen peroxide.
Hope that answered your question, Jenny, and hope you feel better. Here's to staying healthy!

No comments: